Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fine Line between Adventure and Stupidity

I am planning to venture out to NJ again this weekend for the third race in this winter trail race series.

We've had more snow since the last race in January, and last night the area received almost two inches of freezing rain. In fact, this morning I basically skated in my shoes along the sidewalks to get to work. If it wasn't rather dangerous, it would be funny. It did warm my heart to see many people offering a helping hand to each other, just to get across the street. And you thought New Yorkers were a cold, hard bunch! Not when we face adversity together, baby.

So, of course I'm going to run this trail race on snowy, icy, potentially dangerous single track. It will be an adventure. Or, it could be one of those "it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt" kind of things. That's the fine line between challenging yourself at something difficult versus putting yourself in the path of stupid risk. I've tried to dance along that line a few times in my life, and I have the scars to prove it. Hopefully, this race will be on the right side of that edge.

To be prepared, I've loaded up a pair of trail shoes with sheet metal screws, just in case the surface is an impenetrable ice sheet. Without some kind of cleats, that kind of icy stuff leaves you spinning and flopping like an excited puppy on a waxed linoleum floor.

So far, I can't find anyone brave enough (or dumb enough) to come along with me. We'll see, sometimes they come running at the last minute begging for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are submitted to the author for approval